Substance use and treatment
View publications, including policy briefs, working papers, and journal articles, on Substance use and treatment:
View one-page summary Recaps of key findings from the Rural Health Research Centers on Substance use and treatment:
- Opioid Use and Treatment Availability
This resource examines opioid use in rural communities, as well as the perceived need for and utilization of treatment for opioid use disorder, based on a summary of the Rural Health Research Centers' most recent research.
- Opioid Use Disorder and Treatment: Rural-Urban Comparisons
This Recap examines rural-urban comparisons related to the prevalence of opioid use disorder (OUD), the impact of OUD on hospitals and emergency departments, and prescribing buprenorphine for OUD treatment.
- Rural Behavioral Health
Rural behavioral health issues are compounded by a lack of access to care, workforce shortages, reimbursement issues, and high rates of uninsured or under-insurance. This resource provides a summary of the Rural Health Research Centers' most recent research on behavioral health.
- State of Rural Women's Healthcare Utilization and Health Indicators
Rural women face barriers to accessing preventive health screenings, mental health services, and maternal healthcare. This Recap provides a summary of the research on rural women's utilization of healthcare services, maternal substance use, and other health indicators.
Access information on upcoming or archived webinars on Substance use and treatment.
- Northern Border Regional Commission State and Region Chartbooks: A Health-Focused Landscape Analysis
Projects on this Topic
Learn more about the research questions guiding each study, the lead researcher for each, and when the Research Center anticipates releasing completed product(s) under each project.
- Currently, there are 9 research projects underway to explore this issue.
- In the past, 29 research projects have been completed on Substance use and treatment.