Hospitals and clinics
View publications, including policy briefs, working papers, and journal articles, on Hospitals and clinics:
View one-page summary Recaps of key findings from the Rural Health Research Centers on Hospitals and clinics:
- Effects of Rural Hospital Closures
From January 2005 through early November 2017, 124 rural hospitals closed in the U.S. This Recap, two of two, provides a summary of the Rural Health Research Centers' most recent research on the effects of these closures.
- Quality of Care in Rural Hospitals
This Rural Health Research Recap looks at hospital quality-of-care measures and the difficulties of developing quality measures, especially for rural hospitals with low patient volumes.
- Rural Hospital Closures
From January 2005 through early November 2017, 124 rural hospitals closed in the U.S. This Recap, one of two, provides a summary of the Rural Health Research Centers' most recent research on hospital closures.
- Rural Hospital Closures: 2023 Update
From 2005 through 2022, 186 rural hospitals either closed completely or converted to facilities that no longer provide in-patient care. This Recap explores the current state of rural hospital closures in the United States.
- Rural Obstetric Services: Access, Workforce, and Impact
This resource presents current hospital-based obstetric closure rates and characteristics of rural communities without and losing obstetric services, as well as the impact of limited access on maternal and child health.
Access information on upcoming or archived webinars on Hospitals and clinics.
- Diminishing Access to Rural Maternity Care and Associated Changes in Birth Location and Outcomes
- Impact of the CMS Value-Based Purchasing and Readmission Reduction Programs on Rural Hospitals
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement
Projects on this Topic
Learn more about the research questions guiding each study, the lead researcher for each, and when the Research Center anticipates releasing completed product(s) under each project.
- Currently, there are 21 research projects underway to explore this issue.
- In the past, 128 research projects have been completed on Hospitals and clinics.