Critical Access Hospitals
View publications, including policy briefs, working papers, and journal articles, on Critical Access Hospitals:
View one-page summary Recaps of key findings from the Rural Health Research Centers on Critical Access Hospitals:
- Quality of Care in Rural Hospitals
This Rural Health Research Recap looks at hospital quality-of-care measures and the difficulties of developing quality measures, especially for rural hospitals with low patient volumes.
- Rural Hospital Closures: 2023 Update
From 2005 through 2022, 186 rural hospitals either closed completely or converted to facilities that no longer provide in-patient care. This Recap explores the current state of rural hospital closures in the United States.
Access information on upcoming or archived webinars on Critical Access Hospitals.
- Northern Border Regional Commission State and Region Chartbooks: A Health-Focused Landscape Analysis
- Diminishing Access to Rural Maternity Care and Associated Changes in Birth Location and Outcomes
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement
Projects on this Topic
Learn more about the research questions guiding each study, the lead researcher for each, and when the Research Center anticipates releasing completed product(s) under each project.
- Currently, there are 7 research projects underway to explore this issue.
- In the past, 48 research projects have been completed on Critical Access Hospitals.