Understanding Rural Health Clinic Services, Use, and Reimbursement
This study will address the following research questions:
- What are the characteristics and intensity of the services (e.g. evaluation and management [E&M] services, other procedures) provided by Rural Health Clinics (RHCs)?
- Are there differences in the intensity and type of clinical services provided by various types of RHCs (i.e. provider-based versus independent) and across the rural continuum and/or census divisions/regions?
- What are the most common diagnoses for services provided to Medicare beneficiaries?
- What types of non-RHC services are RHCs billing to Medicare Part B (e.g. care management, telehealth, inpatient E&M services, other procedures)?
- How do estimated fee for service payments to RHCs under the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services' changes to the outpatient E&M codes in 2021 compare to the 2021 per-visit reimbursement cap?