View publications, including policy briefs, working papers, and journal publications, on Healthcare access:
View one-page summary Recaps of key findings from the Rural Health Research Centers on Healthcare access:
- Healthcare Access and Status Among Rural Children
More than half (56.6%) of all rural counties in the U.S. do not have a pediatrician, which can have a negative effect on the health status of rural children. This Recap provides a summary of the research on pediatric health status, health outcomes, and access to care in rural areas.
- Opioid Use and Treatment Availability
This resource examines opioid use in rural communities, as well as the perceived need for and utilization of treatment for opioid use disorder, based on a summary of the Rural Health Research Centers' most recent research.
- Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage Among Rural Children
This resource examines pediatric insurance coverage, poverty rates, and Medicaid enrollment by race/ethnicity in rural and urban communities. The Recap also presents a summary of the research on the impact of coverage on rural access to care.
- Rural Obstetric Services: Access, Workforce, and Impact
This resource presents current hospital-based obstetric closure rates and characteristics of rural communities without and losing obstetric services, as well as the impact of limited access on maternal and child health.
- State of Rural Women's Healthcare Utilization and Health Indicators
Rural women face barriers to accessing preventive health screenings, mental health services, and maternal healthcare. This Recap provides a summary of the research on rural women's utilization of healthcare services, maternal substance use, and other health indicators.
Access information on upcoming or archived webinars on Healthcare access.
- Behavioral Health Workforce Supply
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement
- Change in Profitability and Financial Distress of Critical Access Hospitals from Loss of Cost-Based Reimbursement
Projects on this Topic
Learn more about the research questions guiding each study, the lead researcher for each, and when the Research Center anticipates releasing completed product(s) under each project.
- Currently, there are 21 research projects underway to explore this issue.
- In the past, 8 research projects have been completed on Healthcare access.