Research Alert: March 31, 2023
Webinar Recording Available: Using the 2023 Rural Population Health Chartbook
Access Archived Webinar Resources
The 2023 Rural Population Health Chartbook, from the North Carolina Rural Health Research Program, includes 33 measures of population health organized into five domains: access to care, health outcomes and risks, mortality, social determinants of health, and socioeconomics.
This webinar described the data and charts with the goal of giving state and local users ideas on how to best use the information. While other chartbooks exist, most do not stratify by rural and/or do not present the full range of data across states. Given the heterogeneous nature of rural communities, this chartbook provides a look at rural health across counties, states, and regions.
The charts show:
- How health indicators among rural counties in each state compare to the rest of the country.
- Differences by sex, race, and ethnicity for each indicator by Census division.
- Rural-urban disparities for each indicator across each state and by Census region.
- How often, where, and for which indicators data are suppressed.
- The range of rural county averages for each indicator in each state.
Kristie W. Thompson, MA
Research Fellow, North Carolina Rural Health Research Program