Research Alert: April 29, 2019
Trends and Geographic Variation of Hospitals at Risk of Financial Distress and Characteristics of Their Communities
This research alert contains three policy briefs.
The first brief, Trends in Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals, 2015 to 2019, investigates 2015 to 2019 trends in risk of financial distress among rural hospitals by census region and Medicare payment classification.
The second brief, Geographic Variation in the 2019 Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals, investigates 2019 geographic variation in risk of financial distress among rural hospitals.
The third brief, Characteristics of Communities Served by Rural Hospitals Predicted to be at High Risk of Financial Distress in 2019, compares characteristics of communities served by rural hospitals predicted to be at high risk of financial distress to those served by rural hospitals predicted to not be at high risk of financial distress in 2019.Contact Information:
Sharita Thomas, MPP
North Carolina Rural Health Research and Policy Analysis Center
Additional Resources of Interest:
- Characteristics of Communities Served by Hospitals at High Risk of Financial Distress
- Geographic Variation in Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals
- Trends in Risk of Financial Distress among Rural Hospitals
- More information about the Rapid Response to Requests for Rural Data Analysis
- More information from the Rural Health Information Hub's topic guides: Critical Access Hospitals, Hospitals, Rural Health Clinics, Rural Health Disparities