Rural Minority Health: A Comprehensive AssessmentThe objectives of this comprehensive study are to:
- Profile demographics of rural African Americans by region of the U.S.
- Describe clinical problems prevalent in rural African American populations.
- Explore available health care facilities and practitioners in rural areas.
- Investigate outpatient treatment provided to rural African American populations, by type of practitioner.
- Explore expenditures for health care among rural African Americans, by region of the U.S. Determine barriers to care such as insurance, provider availability, and health beliefs/behaviors.
Six reports have been submitted to date as part of the comprehensive assessment of minority health, and a final report is underway summarizing sources of funding for health care among rural minorities based on the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey.