30 Years of Rural Health Research
The Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP), under the Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA), developed the Rural Health Research Center Program in 1988. The purpose of the program is to produce high-quality, impartial, policy-relevant research on healthcare and population health in rural areas of the United States. This research is crucial to understanding the challenges faced by rural areas and to ensure their needs are considered when policy is created.
The Rural Health Research Gateway was created in 2006 to further that goal. Gateway serves as a “one-stop shop,” providing easy, timely access to the important work done by the federally funded Rural Health Research Centers.
Three Decades of Rural Health Research Centers
Celebrate 30 Years of Rural Health Research
Join the Rural Health Research Gateway, FORHP, HRSA, and the Rural Health Research Centers as we celebrate 30 years of rural health research.
- Use or follow the Twitter hashtag #30yearsofRuralResearch to see how research, logos, and data visualization have changed in the last 30 years.
- Attend a free Gateway webinar and hear from the Rural Health Research Centers as we explore where we have been and where we are going in rural healthcare.
- Subscribe to our Gateway Research Alerts to receive an email when there is a new rural health research product.
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter as we share 30 years of rural health research accomplishments.
- Visit YouTube to access videos with our Rural Health Research Center researchers. Learn about their history with the program and what they think the future of rural health research will look like 30 years from now.
Taking a Look Back
Rural research directors gathered at a meeting in Seattle. Pictured from left to right are: Tom Rosenthal, unknown, Tom Ricketts, Andy Coburn, Anthony Wellever, Pat Taylor, Jack Geller, David Hartley, Gary Hart, Keith Mueller
In the News through the Years
In the fall of 2001, the University of Minnesota Rural Health Research Center was celebrating a decade of rural health research. View the full article